Here’s one of my favourite dishes. Fresh, crunchy, flavourful, and with lots of healthy, filling fat.
Notes: 1. All the ingredients are on the list of low carb foods. 2. I haven’t given amounts for the ingredients to allow for preferences and hunger – you’ll figure it out.
- French (green) beans
- Sliced almonds
What To Do
- Start a pot of water boiling. Add a tablespoon of salt (seems a lot, but most of it will be tossed with the water).
- While that’s heating up, fry sliced almonds over low heat with plenty of butter until brown, stirring occasionally.
- While that’s happening, stem the beans (if there are any). Keep an eye on the almonds to make sure they don’t burn.
- When light brown, immediately take almonds off the heat and transfer to another bowl to stop them cooking. Toss with a bit of salt. (Note from experience: Beware of snacking on them right away – they are extremely hot and will burn your mouth).
- Blanch the green beans in the boiling water for 2 minutes (if they are very thin, 1 minute should be enough). They should turn a nice, brilliant green.
- Drain the water and add a big knob of butter to the beans in the drained pot.
- Fry the beans over medium heat, tossing until the butter is melted and coats the beans. If you like them soft, keep going – the longer you go, the more cooked they will be. I prefer to keep it short – just enough to melt the butter.
- Serve with the almonds, which should now be cool and crunchy.